Dr. Vladimir A. Makarov is the Member of iGECE, and
also the founding partner of IFXworks corporation, which is a consulting firm that
specializes in information technology in pharmaceutical and medical device verticals. Dr. Makarov is a computational
biologist with over 20 years professional research experience in health sciences, pharmaceuticals, medical devices,
bioenergy and agricultural biotechnology. Dr. Makarov has been an Adjunct Professor of Bioinformatics at California
State University, Channel Islands. Dr. Makarov also possesses extensive management experience, having guided groups
and programs with as many as 50 FTEs and budgets of $3M/year. He was a co-founder and/or an early stage employee of five high
technology start-up companies.
Publications and Patents:
- Feldmann, K., Brover, V., Makarov, V.A., and T. Swaller, “Nucleotide sequences and polypeptides encoded thereby useful for modifying plant characteristics”, US Patent 7,569,389, granted August 4, 2009, Assignee: Ceres, Inc.
- Shaitan, K.V., Levtsova, O., Makarov, V.A., and M. Kirpichnikov, “A Study of the Mechanism of Action of Zervamicin IIB Peptide Antibiotic by Molecular Dynamics Simulation”, 2009, Nature Precedings, http://hdl.handle.net/10101/npre.2009.3624.1
- Ianchulev T., Pham P., Makarov V.A., Francis B., and D. Minckler, “Peristat: a computer-based perimetry self-test for cost-effective population screening of glaucoma”, 2005, Curr Eye Res., v. 1, 1-6
- Makarov, V.A., “Computer programs for eukaryotic gene prediction”, 2002, Briefings in Bioinformatics, v. 3, 195-199.
- Makarov, V.A., Pettitt, B.M. and M. Feig, “Solvation and Hydration of Proteins and Nucleic acids: a Theoretical View of Simulation and Experiment”, 2002, Accounts of Chemical Research, v. 35, 376-384.
- Makarov, V.A., Andrews, B.K., Smith, P.E. and B.M. Pettitt, "Residence Times of Water Molecules in the Hydration Sites of Myoglobin", 2000, Biophys. J., v. 79, 2966-2974.
- Pettitt, B.M., Makarov, V.A. and B.K. Andrews, "Protein Hydration Density: Theory, Simulations and Crystallography", 1998, Curr. Op. Struct. Biol., v. 8, 218-221.
- Makarov, V.A., Feig, M., Andrews, B.K. and B.M. Pettitt, "Diffusion of Solvent Around Biomolecular Solutes. A Molecular Dynamics Simulation Study", 1998, Biophys. J., v. 75, 150-158.
- Makarov, V.A., Andrews, B.K. and B.M. Pettitt, "Modeling the Protein-Water Interface", 1998, Biopolymers, v. 45, 469-478.
- Puig, A., Primm, T.P., Surendan, R., Lee, J.C., Ballard, K.D., Orkiszewski, R.S., Makarov, V.A. and H.F. Gilbert, "A 21-kDa C-terminal Fragment of Protein disulfide Isomerase has Isomerase, Chaperone, and Anti-chaperone Activities", 1997, J. Biol. Chem., v. 272, 32988-32994.